Thursday, June 14, 2007

Reflections

Reflections on the 2007 SBC.

As I left San Antonio today, my impressions were distinctly different than when I left the BGCT annual meeting held in Amarillo in 1994. The Amarillo meeting was my first convention and I vowed it would be my last. I was put off and disgusted at the arrogance and pride displayed by the moderates who gained firm control on that day. Thirteen years later I have changed my perspective of that meeting and it bears on this years SBC Annual meeting as well. What I really saw in 1994 was grown men who had been soundly defeated at SBC meetings for 15 years who won at their state level. I saw their jubilance, heavy handed politics, and boasting as arrogant and prideful. Today I see it as tremendous release of stored up energy and emotion. Four years later those whom in victory they belittled, walked away and started the SBTC.

I am older now and having been in church ministry since 1995, I have matured in my outlooks and patience with others. I believe what I saw in San Antonio was healthy debate. I came away believing that the dialogue Wade Burleson is hoping for is happening within the leadership of the various agencies of the SBC. In 1994 I thought the sky was falling and in many ways it did fall. As a result there is one vibrant Texas convention and another that is struggling to find its way out of the past and into the future. One of the brightest spots I have seen in years to help the BGCT out of its wilderness is the hiring of Jon Randles to head up the team on evangelism. For the Executive Director of the SBTC to be elected as first VP speaks well of the vibrancy of that convention.

I sense an awakening of determination in the SBC to lock arms for the sake of the Gospel. Not everyone is onboard yet and as many employees and ministries as there are within our convention there will always be some disagreements among us. I am impressed because a new generation is emerging that has a renewed passion for the Gospel. They are growing up quickly but not like the generation that grew up in the wars of yesterday. The wars of yesterday pushed liberalism out the door. The enemy today must be seen as the enemy that keeps this world in the dark. We must gather the army and attack the darkness around us with the same vehemence that we attacked liberalism.

If you are a young person reading this blog and this was your first convention, let me encourage you to avoid allowing the political maneuvering and robust discussions keep you from your support, diligent service, and commitment to a great convention, the SBC. At 49, I can assure you this was the most enjoyable convention of my life. Greeting old friends and spending time together is something that non denominationals and independents never get the opportunity to experience. The convention is more than politics. There will always be some things you don’t like. There will always be some things you think are great. Try to change the things you don’t like, but concentrate on the things you do. Give yourself to Jesus and kingdom work.

No comments: