Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Monday SBC Convention -- Evening

I believe Monday was a good day for Southern Baptists. The overall spirit seemed to be congenial and supportive of one another. Various motions came throughout the day mingled with reports and opportunities to worship in song and prayer. Of course the hot topics of the day were for the 1st VP and the motion on the BF&M.

It seems to me we opened a Pandora’s box with what appears to be a passing of the motion on the BF&M.(the official ballot count had not been released when I left the convention hall.) The motion may turn out to actually narrow the parameters rather than widen them. Since it is to be used as the doctrinal guide, it would make sense that no one could serve as a trustee or employee who felt it necessary to sign with caveats. If that is true, some who supported this motion and serve as trustees should seriously consider resigning from their trustee positions to protect their own integrity. This could, perhaps, prohibit missionaries from serving who signed with caveats. I would hope that my first understandings are incorrect.

1 comment:

FBC said...

Wow, my exact thoughts as well. I really enjoyed spending time with you at the SBC. You are one of the reasons God led me to Southern. I have another lifelong friend. God bless.