Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Committed

As regular as clock work I received the annual propaganda piece printed by Texas Baptist Committed delivered just prior to the annual meeting of the Baptist General Convention of Texas. David Currie, the chief general for TBC and editor of the publication, pulled out the big Texas guns once again to influence elections. I must add that I have not subscribed to the paper or asked for the paper. They send it of their own free will. The closest I have been to endorsing or participating in anything TBC or CBF was when our fine accounting folks at the BGCT sent some funds from our church to the CBF by mistake.

Of particular interest in this years campaign publication, is an article by Ken Hall. Some suspect he is in the running for the EC and I would venture a guess that if it comes to pass, there are leaner days for the BGCT. The part that really caught my attention was his not so subtle comparison of the valley scandal to giving to Lottie and Annie. Ken's call is for a Texas Mission Fund that allowing BGCT folks to give to Texas Missions rather than SBC missions. Why leaner days? While the article speaks of a wider tent in Texas and cooperating with more people, should his vision come to pass, I would expect more churches to defect from the BGCT to the SBTC. Essentially, the BGCT would be by expectation excluding the churches that David Lowrie says we again need to include in BGCT life.

I have said before and I will say it again, it is not the SBTC who is luring churches away, it is the moderate leadership of the BGCT who is driving them away. This is why I continue to believe we must elect David Lowrie as president of the BGCT. Truthfully, the BGCT president can do little to change the tide. However, electing another president who serves on the TBC board endorsing the views of Ken Hall, is a sure fire way to continue the drift toward making Herbert Reynold's dream for a national convention become reality.

No comments: